Saturday, May 06, 2006

Wither Fall Break?

The Savannah Morning News reports:
A proposal to eliminate UGA's 2007 fall break almost became UGA policy last week, but the University Council - the faculty, staff and student advisory body - instead voted to form a committee to research fall break, and short academic weeks in general, for the 2008-09 school year.
Apparently the committee will be researching the effects of fall break over the next few months and will report back at the end of the summer. I've done some research myself, and this is what I've found:
If you give students fall break, then there won't be class on the Thursday and Friday before the Georgia-Florida game. If you don't give them fall break, then there will be class.
Proponents of abolishing Fall Break cite a number of reasons why it makes sense to get rid of it, ranging from... Well, actually come to think of it, they don't cite any reasons, because there aren't any. When asked why he is in strong favor of abolishing fall break, an institution that virtually all students, parents, and most faculty support, UGA President Michael Adams said "I really don't know why. I just like to make people mad. Since it's such a good idea, we ought to get rid of it. It's my job as university president to do what everybody doesn't want."

2 comments:

Joe said...

Fall break is nonsense. It's just some free time for UGA students to go be cool somewhere.

Joe said...

Unless, of course it's before the Georgia/Florida game; in which case I am all for it. I completely support the cancellation of classes for sporting events.