Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Special Day for a Special Boy

I'm trying to remember any time after elementary school that I've had a birthday party. I cannot recall such an occasion. I've always felt weird about organizing a gathering with the sole purpose of celebrating the wonder that is me. But other people do it, so why not? I'll be in Athens on the 21st, so I don't expect anything on my actual date of birth.

But since I'll be in the 912 the weekend of June 30th-July 4th, can we set aside at least an afternoon, preferably that Saturday, where everybody is together in one place to drink and pretend that my 23rd birthday means anything? I want to drink non-non-alcoholic beer on the beach. I won't even expect anyone to pay for it. And maybe we could even extend the festivities into the evening hours. Don't question my imbibing abilities of late - with the aid of 200mg caffeine pills, I can drink like I'm 20-years-old. So spread the word.

P.S. This post was really tough to write, knowing that there was no way to make it sound straight.

7 comments:

Patrick said...

23 glorious years indeed. Let's all be thankful that Mr. and Mrs. Smith aren't gay and/or support abortion, or else there wouldn't be a Ryan to support such views.

Ryan said...

Yeah, Coca-Cola is the original and widely regarded to be the best soft drink, but if that were all we had, then we wouldn't have Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Mountain Dew, Mr. Pibb, or Vault. I support all of those.

Joe said...

Ryan,
It is completely acceptable for a man to organize his own birthday gathering, especially because his friends aren't going to do it for him. That would be really gay. I'll go ahead and say that I'll be out of town until Sunday night. I'm flying up to VA to be at my nephew's baptism (I'm the godfather. Catholics: + 1).

Monday night, I'm all for tying one on. I'm still not sure what that means, but I'm all for it anyway.

HANK said...

Sure Ryan, count me in... since you admitted that such a request was tough to make. All dogs must have their day, why can't Ryan?

PS I'll buy you malt liquor.
Good on you Joe, make sure the little guy knows his Hail Marys by Christmas.

Ryan said...

Actually, how does Sunday afternoon/night sound? The only night my dad has off is Saturday night, so I'll be going with him to the 7:00 Sand Gnats game. Which means if I were to do the heavy birthday drinking during the day, I'd have to cut it short to make it to the game.

We would just have to make sure we bought enough beer in advance because of the really modern and contemporary law against Sunday sales. Plus Joe can try to make it by nighttime.

Thoughts?

HANK said...

actually, sunday is better for me and will. We are moving to Savannah on Saturday, fo sho

TC said...

i'm driving back up to atlanta the 2nd, i'll be down the 29th. i'll stick around for a little while before i drive back up.