Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10 Years Ago: Hank Day

Today marks the 10-year anniversary of Hank's last day at BC.

It was a Friday and the 4-1 Cadets were coming off a bye week after their upset win over Camden County, and preparing to take on the hapless Jenkins Warriors. Rumors about Hank's dismissal started swirling that morning and by lunchtime, plans were already being formed to celebrate the occasion.

Concensus says that the legend of Hank began in the fall of 1997 in the JV locker room. A group of visionary seniors, noticing that Hank's awkward appearance was a prefect match for his name, began quacking his name, like a duck. "HANK" spread like wildfire, and before you knew it, Hank was the most popular kid in school. As we progressed through BC, his legend only grew bigger. It was so infectious, it spread to the Jenkins Boys Club, where basketball teams were formed as the "Hanks" and the "Riners."

By the time 7th period had rolled around on that fateful day, the student-body had worked its way into a frenzy. Students ignored their teachers' lesson plan in order to make signs out of cardboard boxes. When the intercom instructed all students to report to the well, Hankmania erupted. Signs reading, "Hank, I'm pregnant!" and "Hank 3:16" were everwhere. Miss Burke stepped to the microphone and explained what was about to happen. We were informed that Hank would not have enough credits to graduate from BC, so he would be transferring to another school in an attempt to accumulate the required credits. She admonsihed the student-body for making light of the situation. Hank was then brought out to the footsteps of the well and stepped in front of the microphone. It was pure pandamonium. Choked by emotion, Hank squeaked out a barely-audible "Hut 2. Hut 2." and the greatest Fight Song in the history of BC ensued.

Hank quietly left the building and was never seen or heard from again. His whereabouts to this day are still unknown.

Below is a reenactment, loosely-based on the day's proceedings.

12 comments:

Pl0we said...

I was a freshman that year. I remember going to well not knowing what the hell was going on.

MAR said...

that day will live on forever. Well put Snuffy, well put..

HANK said...

What are y'all talking about? I'm still kickin'.

Frank said...

Greatest BMBS post of all time. With all due respect, better than anything OIA or OITO has ever done. HANK was a legend indeed.

Shane said...

LIKE!

Barstool69 said...

i have no idea what is going on

tim said...

Fourth period PE freshman year is where it all started. I'm not sure who it was that actually coined the trademarked "Hank!", but it may have been one of the Olmstead brothers if memory serves me correct. I will admit that I was probably the third person to say it. Which is braggable.

Eversmart said...

HANK!

Joe said...

A few weeks ago, Facebook suggested that I become friends with Hank Riner. I didn't.

Eversmart said...

Are you mad? You passed up an opportunity of a lifetime!

Joe said...

I wasn't sure it was really him. One of the hallmarks of a BC education is the ability to beat a joke to death. It wouldn't have surprised me at all to learn that one of our fellow alumni had created a profile for Hank.

Unknown said...

Joe I can honestly say I had the same phenomenon happen, and I took the bait. I am officially a (Facebook) friend of hanks and can't even begin to tell you how much my life has changed since that fateful day. In summary, I think all should share in this delight too, one of life's greatest pleasures.