Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Sign From God?

Today I was rummaging through the bookbag I take every day to work, when I found this at the bottom:

In case you have Mr. Magoo eyes like TC, it's a woman (possibly Mary) holding some roses and a crucifix with Jesus on it. There's also a rosary dangling from one arm.

How did this little statue end up in my bookbag? Did a stranger attempt a good deed by placing Mary and Jesus on my person, so that I may dwell upon the uncleanliness of my life? Or did God put it there? Either way, mission accomplished. I'm spooked. I think I may start believing what the Bible says. No, wait, God didn't write that. It was just some guys, same as the Qur'an or any other religious text. Nevermind.

3 comments:

tim said...

That creeps the shit out of me.

HANK said...

Ryan, what you found is not a statue of Mary the Mother of God. Rather, it is the statue of St. Therese of Lisieux, my mother's namesake. She is always depicted wearing her Carmelite vestments and holding the Crucifix on a bed of roses. She is also known as Therese of the Child Jesus; the Little Flower; the Little Flower of Jesus. Go to this webpage to find out more on St. Therese. http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintt02.htm

I don't know why someone would put her statue in your bag. Maybe someone found out that you listen to the Smashing Pumpkins and are afraid for your soul.

tim said...

Stephen, you should get an award for being the most Catholic person ever. I bet even St. Peter didn't know that.