Thursday, January 05, 2006

Signs of Georgia

There's a barn about midway between Savannah and Athens on Highway 15 that has this painted on its side:

WE DON'T REBUILD
WE RELOAD

A reference to the terrorist attacks of September 11th? Nah. It just means the UGA football team. The big G gives that away. Anyway, you would figure these people to be huge Georgia fans, full of knowledge and devotion. Well, on my trip back on Monday, I saw their new display of informed fandom:

Ho-ho-Who's 10 - 1?
#1 UGA, that's who! Beat WVU!

Nevermind the fact that Georgia was ranked #7 and had a record of 10-2 before they, in fact, did not beat WVU.

While I was driving through that town with the railroad tracks that make your car fly like a DeLorean and the big Wal-Mart that you know everyone goes to on Sunday, I saw a billboard that wanted you to know:

Abstinence.
It's not easy...and neither are you.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Love it or leave it. Delta is ready when you are.

Michael said...

Seriously, is anybody surprised by the UGA mural, anybody. Bueller??

Patrick said...

I think Ryan is being a bit too critical. The only real mistake was the 1 loss. I think it's pretty natural to write "Beat (team name)" in anticipation of a big game. Doing so doesn't require that the team actually win. Saying your team is "#1" also is not unheard of, I think.

A good example of what I'm talking about: On homecoming day 1998, me and countless other students wrote "BC is #1" and "Beat Glynn" on our cars and everywhere on the clasroom windows. Sure, we weren't in fact #1 in the state, and we ended up losing to Glynn that night. Does this make us all 450 of us bumbling idiots? Maybe, but I think we were just naturally pumped up for a big game.