Friday, February 01, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust

It's always interesting to see things come full circle. In August of 1999, I became a taxpaying part of the American workforce at the Georgetown Piggly Wiggly. For seven months, I was a punctual, dilligent, and drug-free employee. I bagged groceries with speed and finesse. In March of 2000, I resigned from my position to pursue gridiron glory for the Benedictine Cadets.

After today, Piggly Wiggly #219 will close its doors for good. Slumping sales were blamed on competition mainly from Food Lion. Food Lion had the better location in Georgetown as it was on the south side of Abercorn on King George Boulevard. All of Georgetown's limited growth since the stores opened has occurred on this side of Abercorn. Though the Pig is just on the other side of Abercorn and visible from the Food Lion, many would not cross. Rightly so; that light is a total pain in the ass.

No comments: