Monday, March 09, 2009

A Whole-Hearted Thank You From a Half-Irish Heart

As you may have noticed, I have a St. Patrick's Day problem.

My obsession with this holiday is partly overcompensation for the lack of Irish heritage on my father's side of the family. There are plenty of Flemings from the old sod, but my father's family most likely did not come from Ireland. I can, however, trace my mother's family back to my great, great grandfather, James Whalen, whose arrival in the States from County Wexford coincided with the Great Famine. My grandfather, William Whalen, was proud of his Irish heritage but he did not take part in the revelry of St. Patrick's Day. Therefore, my mother never had any Irish traditions to pass down to me.

It was because of my friends that I discovered the magic of St. Patrick's Day. Growing up with the Leonards, I was practically adopted into their family, much the same way Tom Hagen was taken in by the Corleones. I can remember going to the very first Irish Festival at Grayson Stadium with the Leonards. In addition, Stephen welcomed me to join the Flags of Ireland in the 6th grade. That was the first year I ever marched in the parade.

At BC, I became friends with Mike and Patrick, both of whom have Irish roots on both sides of the family tree. Mike invited me to join the Parade Committee with him in 2005. In 2002, Patrick invited me to my first Clan-na-Erin breakfast. Tom Coffey was the guest speaker, Joe Welch impersonated Father O'Brien, the bar was open and I was hooked.

Now, I am marrying into a family with a rich Irish tradition and I hope to pass this along to a future generation of Flemings. If I am lucky enough to have a son, I can't wait to see him march in the parade as a Benedictine Cadet and to bring him and a few of his friends to their first open bar St. Patrick's Day breakfast. I guess a daughter would be okay, too.

I look forward to celebrating St. Patrick's Day with all of you for many years to come.







3 comments:

Patrick said...

Gay.

Snuffy said...

Don't be afraid of your emotions.

David Cuntfunkel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.