Sunday, March 07, 2010

20th Year Anniversary

I have to say, 1990 was the year of luck for the Reardon Family. Georgia Tech made the Final Four in basketball and won the National Championship in football later that fall. But the day that eventually made me thank my lucky stars each and every day was March 17th, 1990. This was the day my Grandfather was elected Grand Marshall of The St Patrick's Day Parade in Savannah. In what was at the time the closest vote in parade history, my Grandfather accepted this with the grace and honor he has lived his life. He now is embarking on his 20th year anniversary as the "Grand Marshall who has walked the most miles".


At the time of this great honor, I was a seven year old who tied his shoe in a unorthodox way and called Burger King, "Burber King". I had no clue how much this moment shaped my life until around 2006. At 23, I realized, I am part of not only a great event that you get to hang out with friends and drink,it is a celebration that brings in tradition to the forefront and makes you appreciate your Irish Heritage in the highest regards. I Credit this to my Grandfather, Robert H Reardon.


He loves the parade more than anyone, and I know every Grand Marshall loves it immensely. But, My Grandfather wants to make sure he can march the whole route each year. So he walks Lake Mayor weeks prior to get himself in tip top shape to walk the most coveted walk on March 17th. This June he turns 90, and I just want to say I cherish each and moment I share with him. Congratulations to the 20 year Anniversary of being Grand Marshall of the St Patrick's Day Parade in the greatest city, Savannah GA!


Erin Go Bragh!

3 comments:

Michael said...

It just got a little dusty in my cubicle...

Snuffy said...

Here's to another 3 miles!

Frank said...

MAR,

I know this post was about your grandfather, but I noticed one factual error...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DRjFsnvrR9Y/SovbL2lRbRI/AAAAAAAABAs/ZHIWNj_NUyY/s1600-h/NationalChampions1990.jpg

Look forward to seeing you 3/17. Take care,

Frank