Wednesday, May 02, 2007

"So this is how Liberty dies..."




I am sure by now you have either heard of or recognize both of these bands pictured. On the left is My Chemical Romance and on the right is the Arctic Monkeys. Say what you will about the Arctic Monkeys' music (I have been on the fence for quite some time), but you have to give it to them for dressing fairly normal. How many guys in up and coming bands wear Lacoste shirts? Probably not too many because these bands like My Chemical Romance are trying to pass themselves off as edgy(Bill) and hip, but what they end up doing is looking like the Backstreet boys with black lipstick on. It's not fair that the kids coming up today are being fed crap like this. Our generation and our parents generation was lucky in the fact that we were told that guys like Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe were cool and individualistic(which they were) while our parents were told the same thing about Lennon and Jagger. Those guys dressed how they wanted to dress and more importantly wrote lyrics and music the way that they wanted to and no other way. These icons gave us more than just music. They taught us to form our own beliefs and be stubborn about them. Do you think that My Chemical Romance would ever cross the record companies? I mean if you are a man you would never dress like those guys on the left. At some point you would have realize that wearing the exact same thing as your bandmates was probably not very good for your image or integrity. So, my point is that I would like to give it up to the Arctic Monkeys for doing it the way they want to because I promise you no record company would willingly let a band they signed go out in public looking like regular guys.

4 comments:

tim said...

Sorry, the layout of the post turned out different then I expected. I thought that the picture of the Arctic Monkeys was on the right and the other picture on the left.

Patrick said...

5 Best CDs of the 2000s (thus far):

1. Beatles 1
2. Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits: The Millenium Collection
3. Jackson 5's Greatest Hits: The Millenium Collection
4. Temptations' Greatest Hits: The Millenium Collection
5. Rolling Stones: 40 Licks

Michael said...

I really liked Arctic Monkeys debut album, but I have not listened to the new one yet. They are playing in Atlanta in a couple of weeks, and I am considering going, although I think many of the people there would be getting dropped off by their parents.

HANK said...

I like "Sam Cooke, Live from Harlem."