Saturday, December 24, 2005

How Sweet It Is



The Cadets beat Country Day 61-53 infront of a highly partisan crowd at Armstrong yesterday.

Maybe I didn't get a 1400 on my SAT, and maybe I didn't get a scholarship to Washington and Lee, but I went to BC, where the students actually show up at basketball games and raise hell. Today's article doesn't talk much about it (although last year's went into great detail), and I wasn't there (had to work) but supposedly after each Country Day's player name was announced before tipoff yesterday, the 200+ Cadet student section would yell in unison: "hey (name), YOU SUCK!" as the player walked across the court to shake hands with Coach Cannon.

Country Day's students, as usual, did not show up at the game. They were too busy growing out their hair, studying for their SATs, reading Maya Angelou books for AP English, watching Laguna Beach, and trying to act "laid back."

Thank you so much BC, for being the only school in Savannah that still gives a sh*t about anything. This is why, despite Kelly Burke, rising tuition, and other administrative missteps, you remain by far the best high school in Savannah, and America.

5 comments:

Joe said...

I know that if I were to die right now, heaven would require me to go to J. Parker Ltd. and purchase a while knit polo, gray slacks, black socks and black loafers. Maybe it's because I long to relive those days; maybe it's because I never wanted to graduate in the first place; maybe it's because I'm currently re-reading The Lords of Discipline; or maybe its just because Mom and I have killed half a handle of Jim Beam this Christmas Eve that after hearing that story, I missed ol' BC more than I have in four and a half years.

I can say with little doubt that the school spirit shown during the BC / SCDS basketball game was bred through the time honored tradition of hazing freshman. With work comes value. God bless Benedictine Military School, my home.

tim said...

I just wanted to point out that on Joe's blogger profile he lists Mighty Ducks 1 and 3 as his favorite movies, omiting 2. Joe, you are a smart man. Ducks 2 is way overrated and unrealistic. Let's stick to city championships and leave out the part where a bunch of rag tag kids make the Junior National team. I would understand if one maybe two guys from the Ducks made the team, but for the Mighty Ducks as a whole(including Goldberg) to do this is extremely rediculous. I mean seriously, you lost me at "knuckle puck". Another highlight of the Ducks Trilogy is in part 3 when there is only a brief cameo for Emilio Estevez. I hate that guy. Talk about a guy who left his best work in the 80's.

Joe said...

SOmething bothered me about the original Mighty Ducks, and it had to do with the whole rivalry with the kids from the Hawks. Now, the Hawks were obviously much better off than the DUcks, who were inner city kids. So, why did the Hawks kids go to the inner city to mess with them? The worst part is, the inner city kids put up with it. Recall the part when they're in the alley. Three Hawks on rollerblades terrified six Ducks. That's preposterous. Out of all six of those inner city kids, not one had a knife or something. They had to rely on the overgrown, semi-retarded Fulton to bail them out. It just goes to show you, even the ghetto kids in Minneapolis are pussies.

Patrick said...

Also, according to another reliable source (Jack Holland), with 3 minutes left in the game Father Ronald stood up with the rest of students, facing all 25 Country Day fans, jingling his keys and swinging his arms violently back and forth, pointing toward the exit doors.

God Bless BC.

TC said...

I hate freshmen.