Friday, October 19, 2007

Vox Populi: Gems of the Week

Dishonorable Mention:
"A relative died in August and the airlines wanted $889 to fly round trip from Chattanooga to Savannah even though we told them about the death. Then I see in the paper you can fly to Philadelphia for $79. That doesn't seem like the American way."
- Last minute flights are expensive. Don’t underestimate the immense drawing power of Chatt-town.

Dishonorable Mention:
"The play 'Hairspray' was horrible. We walked out at intermission with a number of people. Doesn't anyone preview these plays before they come to Savannah?"
- Why would anyone pay money to see a story about a dancing fat girl? Go to Bar Bar any weekend night and watch for free.

Awful Joke Award:
"I chuckled when I read of the robbery suspect apprehended in his underwear on Bay Street. It gives a whole new meaning to 'getting caught with your pants down.' Hats, just hats, off to those who serve and protect in Savannah. God bless."
- I hate you so much.

Stupid Question Award:
"Why was gas $2.49 in Columbia, S.C. and $2.75 in Savannah? When are the feds going to investigate this?"
- The difference is due to differing state taxes and/or market conditions, but I’m sure the FBI is all over this one. Douche.

Runner-up:
"Thanks to the officer who went far beyond the line of duty when he came to my aid when my car broke down and also to the officer who found my cell phone when I lost it in Forsyth Park. That is what I like about the South."
- Yeah, I love the fact that when those officers could have been catching murderers, rapists, and crack dealers, they were busy helping you keep your stupid crap together.

And your Gem of the Week:
"To the young man who sat beside me at the performance of 'Hairspray' and received terrible news after turning his cell phone back on, I don't know what happened but you are in my prayers."
- That was a deftly executed, backhanded dig at the guy who turned his phone on during the show. You have an amazing future in politics. As for what happened; his boyfriend probably just realized that he, in fact, does like women after all. This is why he wasn’t at the show in the first place.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Joe,
I read the 'Hairspray' comment differently. The guy sat next to the caller throughout the show, then at the end when he turned his cell phone on it was apparent that something had happened. His boyfriend was probably hit by a pedi-cab. I don't see this comment as a cell phone issue because vox callers are incapable of clever, back-handed digs. (the cell phone calls are especially blunt. for instance: "to the rude arab talking on his cell phone during the premiere of the harry potter movie, i hope voldemort uses his elf stun ray on you. Learn some manners!")

What I do see is someone who is so damn curious that it was driving him/her insane all weekend. He/She/It might have thought, "well, maybe if I call Vox, he'll call back and respond...then I'll know for sure!!" The curiosity literally drove this person to call a newspaper in order that they might publish a comment that would, hopefully, be interpreted as an expression of genuine concern for another human being ("oh, look! someone does care about other people! good fer yeeeewwwww!")

this is tenfold more disgusting.