Monday, February 20, 2006

Community Service Project

Part of being an Irish Hurricane and/or BMBS blogger is a strong commitment to the community and, more broadly, society. So tonight I invite y'all to participate with me in the granddaddy of all projects. Many of you may be familiar with Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that really comes in handy the night before the due date for that 30-page paper you've had all semester to write and haven't bothered to read a single book yet. Anyway, Wikipedia is a self-editing resource, meaning it allows pretty much anyone to write on/edit any topic, but is constantly reviewed by the site's administrators, others who have edited the same article, and by the online community at large.

Anyway, I happened to search for Benedictine Military School the other day, and I was surprised to discover that someone has already done a little work for us. We're one of the few high schools in Georgia that has our own article, and that's damn impressive. But it's only a start. We need much more. The Fight Song, pictures, traditions, general history. To get an idea of what I mean, look at this article on the History of the United States, or this one on Ancient Rome. This is how long and extensive I want BC's article to be. It should cover everything from Bull Street to the Matt Baumann/John Hyche fight to the four square tournament to the time Kevin Leonard broke our lunch table freshman year, all the way up to the Herndon era. Regardless of how tempting it becomes to make up stuff, I would encourage us all to keep it half way respectable, because the people who run the site have a way of keeping tabs on who has written what through their IP address (whatever that is), and preventing people who go on there just to simply make up fake stuff. That having been said, this still shouldn't stop us from having whole entire sections dedicated to Hank or Harry Deal.

This will obviously be a work in progress, but every little bit helps. I know everyone will do their part, and I know "everyone" will basically end up meaning just me and Will. Either way, let's get to it.

6 comments:

HANK said...

no time. cpa exam.

Pinkie said...

Yes, Stephen, we all know you have to study for the CPA exam. You did, however, find time to let everyone know you don't have any time because you have so much studying to do.

Anyways, I added a "Traditions" section to the wikipedia that includes the St. Patrick's Day Parade and Gannam Day. I tried to upload some photos but you have to provide all this documentation and liscensing crap.

Patrick said...

I'll do the fight song and the BC/Savannah High Thanksgiving Day stuff some time this week. I'm still trying to figure out how to do some of this stuff. Also, I think the guy before us messed up when he said the new campus opened in '67. I think it was '64.

Pinkie said...

Just added a piece on the Buttimer family. I used the back cover of the football program as my refernece.

tim said...

Will, you need to change the thing about the Buttimers. Johnathan Buttimer is going to graduate this year.

Patrick said...

Will, that shit about Cannon and Hank is great. I'm in the law library laughing/crying right now and everybody is looking at me.