Monday, February 20, 2006

Sherman Had the Right Idea

The inspiration for this post came from a Facebook group at UGA named All Those in Favor of Burning Atlanta a Second Time. I usually do not hold yankees in high esteem, mainly because most of the yankees I associate with are tourists.

General William T. Sherman, on the other hand, is one yankee that I can raise my glass to. He had the foresight to burn Atlanta and preserve the city of Savannah, offering it to President Lincoln as a Christmas gift. I propose that we, at BMBS, adopt General Sherman as our Spiritual Founder. This blog was founded on the same principle on which Sherman based his march to the sea; keep Savannah and screw everone else. Also, Sherman's birthday is February 9, only two days removed from the anniversary of BMBS.

2 comments:

Michael said...

If you ever applaud Sherman like that again, I will cut off your balls with a rusty knife.

Patrick said...

This is a tough one. The most hated man in Georgia history. But that begs the question, has Savannah ever really been part of Georgia?

I think the Free State of Chatham should raise its glass to a man who adopted the attitude of the city he spared: "live and let drink."