Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dublin in Flames!

If you haven't been keeping up with Irish news (I can not imagine why you wouldn't be), Dublin was in chaos this past weekend.

The violence started when Unionists/Protestants decided to have a "Love Ulster Day" parade right down O'Connell Street (The main drag of Dublin.) As many of you know, O'Connell street was the battle ground for Ireland's dozen or so wars of independence from Great Britain.

Sinn Fein was having their usual protests with banners and such. No big deal, I've seen these protests every time I've walked down O'Connell. They're a small group of communists wannabes. They're the ones wearing Che shirts.

As the parade began, homemade gas can bombs and paving bricks went hurling at the Orange men. Mayhem ensued. Police were badly hurt (no wonder since these potato heads have outlawed guns!) The pubs began to poor out onto the street. Windows were smashed, cars burned, looting was everywhere, and people were being carried off. The Irish still won't say who started it. The papers speculate drunk "hooligans" looking for adventure jumped into the riot just for the hell of it. Who knows, I wish I were there though.

Anyways, Michael Collins was resurrected from the dead to lead the boys to victory!

6 comments:

Pinkie said...

We talked about this in my Irish Studies class today. The marchers in the parade were bussed down from Northern Ireland. They were asking for trouble.

HANK said...

Mackenzie,
Do refrain from profanity on this blog. Our purpose is to promote boat shoes, Savannah, beach music, anything Irish, low tolerance and acceptance, conservatism, etc. Our purpose is not to prove how many four letter words our Daddies taught us.

tim said...

Mackenzie,
Could you please not make posts at weird times. I understand you are in Italy and it is six hours difference, but a post time of 3:28 AM just looks weird. It makes me think of a geek that is up all night on his computer playing Everquest and drikning Vault. I know you probably made the post at 9:28 Italian time(give or take an hour) which would be acceptable over here. My solution is that you only make post between the hours of 2:00 PM-12:00 PM Italian time. I don't need thatimage of Stephen Watkins in my head again. Thanks.

Patrick said...

In contrast to my esteemed collegue, I wish I wasn't there. I wish I was at Pinkie Master's, wearing a green coat, drinking a Pabst, and "talking" about being Irish with Chris Connolly. In Savannah, the only scuffle I'll have w/ a protestant is when the girl at Hilliard's forgets to put cocktail sauce in my fried shrimp dinner takeout.

Will, have ya'll gotten to the point in the class where the level-headed, rational, hard-working half of Ireland got in boats and came over here because they were sick and tired of pointless stuff like this?

I don't even know what Ulster is. I thought it was something you got on the inside of your mouth after kissing Jenkins girls (you're right, I wouldn't know).

These people (on both sides) seriously need to get lives.

Pinkie said...

The class foccusses on the conflict in Northern Ireland and the efforts toward peace, so we haven't talked much about the emmigration of the Irish to America, Canada, Australia, and other parts of the world.

For your information, Pat, Ulster is one of the four provinces of Ireland. The six counties that constitute Northern Ireland lie within Ulster. Therefore, Ulster and Northern Ireland are often used interchangably.

HANK said...

You are correct Will. In fact, many nationalist Irish hate hearing the term Ulster and Northern Ireland used interchangeably. They complain that the term Ulster has become to mean Protestanism and Unionism, when in fact most of Ulster is Catholic and Republican.

Also Pat, aren't you English? You limie bastard.