Monday, April 23, 2007

Not a Murderer

The feeling I have right now is betrayal. Confusion. This must be what it feels like to be sat down by the two people you've known as "Mom" and "Dad" your whole life and be told that you are not actually their child. But through the fog of anger, there is a beam of hope. Sure, I can wallow in resentment of the secret that has been unearthed, or I can make up for lost time the best I can.

In my mind, I am recounting the hundreds of times it happened. A road trip. A hungover Sunday. Or just one of those days where having Wendy's for the third time in one week doesn't have any appeal. And every time it started with these words: "Alright, I'm going to Chick-fil-A." Let's reach far back. I can remember the last time I had a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A. I was in second grade at Calvary, when all of the sudden I bit into one, and out came a tooth. So not only did that put a false notion in my head that eating their sandwiches would make me lose all my teeth, but it happened right around the same time that I had my first allergy test, wherein I learned that I am allergic to all nuts. I am informed that Chick-fil-A cooks all of its food in peanut oil, so that's where it ends.

I don't remember when it began, but somehow the waffle fries became a consolation prize for me. I never technically forgot that they too were cooked in peanut oil, but it just became convenient to ignore after I had no bad reaction after eating them. Stupid? I guess, but it's kind of like "forgetting" to wash your hands after going poo - it's just time to move on to something else, you know? Well, it hit me as I was driving that it's kind of strange that I can eat waffle fries with no consequences, yet it's cooked in peanut oil like everything else they have. I Googled the subject this morning, and there's a reason I've never had a reaction...

I can eat anything at Chick-fil-A. I can be a real person now. Turns out that when peanut oil is heated, it removes the protein from peanuts that causes the allergic reaction. I don't know where to begin. What should I order first? What isn't that great? Teach me to live.

19 comments:

Michael said...

The next time your in Atlanta, the Chick by my apartment has a breakfast buffet on Saturday mornings. All you can eat chicken, including grits, eggs, biscuits, gravy, etc. A trip here may quench your thirst. Also, I am a fan of the chicken sandwich meal that comes with the cole slaw. I think it's #7. Take the cole slaw and put it on your sandwich. You will not regret this.

Patrick said...

"Allergies."

Chalk those right up next to global warming.

Suck it up and eat whatever you want. Personally, I think the 12-piece nugget combo is the way to go (w/ barbecue sauce).

TC said...

Have you tried the "Chickin-minis"?

They're gay, but taste great. Like a nugget wrapped in butter.

Michael I live next to that same store, and love that buffet hungover. I eat about 7 chicken patties.

Ryan said...

When you get a sandwich, don't you have to choose from a variety of sauces to put on it? What's good and not good?

HANK said...

Two packs of Mayonnaise, one Ketchup. That's it.

Michael said...

I see a lot of crackers put sauces on their sandwiches. The polynesian sauce is great on the chicken biscuits. If I'm not putting cole slaw on my sandwich, it's ketchup and mayonnaise only.

MacKenzie said...

I really like that honey roasted bbq sauce that comes in the packet. That and mayo is all you need for a good sandwich.

But the best thing about their chicken sandwich is that you can eat it plain if you have to and you don't feel like you're missing anything.

What's with all the cole slaw lovers here? Gross.

HANK said...

Mackenzie, either you or your parents are Yankees. That is the deal here. Yankees are afraid of cole slaw.

MacKenzie said...

Stephen, though my parents were born in Indiana (and actually like cole slaw), I was born and raised in Georgia.

My distaste for cole slaw has nothing do with the location of my upbringing and everything to do with the fact that I'd rather not eat shredded cabbage in a yucky sauce.

Michael said...

This "yucky sauce" you speak of is mayonnaise, king of condiments. How dare you.

MacKenzie said...

Mayonnaise is just one ingredient in the foul, runny sauce that makes up cole slaw.

I will just never like it. The end.

Ryan said...

Cole slaw is the most vomit-inducing food on the planet. Just a nasty ball of snot and disgusting vegetables that makes a gross sound when you stick a spoon in it. And this is coming from a mayonnaise lover.

Michael said...

I motion to change the name of the blog to BMBSCS- Beach Music, Boat Shoes, and Cole Slaw.

HANK said...

Since your ancestors were Yankees, so are you.

tim said...

I can't believe Mackenzie made fun of mayo on a blog that two Leonards are on. "Leonard" is actually Celtic for "He who loves mayonnaise".

HANK said...

Not only is Mayonnaise delicious on every item of food (even on twinkies), but the healing powers of Mayonnaise are miraculous.

My great uncle once contracted the black lung. Just by breathing the fumes from Helmann's Mayonnaise wiped out any sign of that most terrible condition.

Also, a rattle snake gave a poisinous bite to my cousin's leg. A spoon full of Helmann's Mayonnaise made the wound vanish.

Mayonnaise (especially Helmann's) is definitely the food counterpart of Chuck Norris.

TC said...

Duke's Mayonnaise is what I prefer. Mayo and Ketchup, on the chicken sandwich. end of story.

HANK said...

Duke's is pretty good for sandwhiches, but Helmann's is par to none.

One has to use Helmann's for skrimp salad, potato salad, pimento cheese, or if you want to cure AIDS.

Joe said...

Cole slaw is vile. Everytime I see it, I think of the SNL sketch for "Shredders."

"It's Shredded lettuce and mayo in a bag! Try the new southwest Shredder with shredded lettuce and chipotle mayo!"

Disgusting.