Sunday, October 22, 2006

Best Albums

I was looking on RollingStone.com and found this article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time
I know these come out about once every year, but they are always interesting to look at. One thing that kind of shocked me was Dark Side of the Moon being ranked at #43. Pretty much everyone of these lists I have ever seen has had that album at least in the top ten. That puts albums by The Band, The Ramones and The Eagles ahead of them. These are three of the most over-rated bands of all time. Especially the Ramones. I would rather listen to "The Most Annoying Sound Ever" by Lloyd Christmas than a Ramones album. I am gald Johnny Ramone is dead. Anyway, this list got me thinking about my favorites and I ask everyone to post their top 5 albums. I kind of know where Pat and Stephen will be on this but am interested especially in Joe, TC and Ryan's list. And we should save this for a few months because I promise you that Ryan's list will be completely different. So, here is my list of top five albums in no particular order:
Abbey Road-The Beatles
No Code-Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead-Kid A
And I couldn't decide on a fifth. Any Beatles album from Rubber Soul on would fit here as well as Pearl Jam's Vitalogy or STP's Purple or Tiny Music...

5 comments:

Patrick said...

This one will take some time to finalize, so I'll post separately on it

Ryan said...

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom

Dookie - Green Day

...Check back in a week.

Michael said...

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
Dark Side of the Moon
Weezer- Blue Album (highly underrated)
Pearl Jam- Ten
Junior Wells- Hoodoo Man Blues

Joe said...

311 - Transistor

Green Day - Dookie (got me into music)

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser

Coldplay - X&Y

Zebrahead - MFZB

tim said...

Yeah, I agree about the Blue album as well. It is on that Rolling Stones list somewhere around the 200s I think. If you click on the links of that list it gives a little description of the album and tells how many were sold. I think the Blue album only sold about 2.5 million. I thought that to be a little low relatively speaking. And Ryan, I think you might be jumping the gun on Illinois. I think it is great but I need a few more years for it to crack the top five.