Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Friday Night Lights

Behold, one of the best series premieres I have ever seen, and yes, I have seen quite a few. I probably watch more television than everyone on this blog combined, and for that reason, I originally was going to pass this one up. There's only so much use you can get out of cable. But then I started to see the commercials with review quotes calling it "fantastic," "amazing," and even "the best pilot I've ever seen." And after watching it, I think I have to agree with these statements.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the movie yet, but I'm learning that it is very similar in style to the show. So if you've seen the movie and liked it, this has to be an automatic. A lot of the actors improvise their lines, and with the way it's shot, it feels like you're watching the real thing. Nothing is phony or forced. If you liked the use of music in the movie, they use the same band here, too, and it's the best use of music in a show or movie that I've ever seen.

If I summarized the plot of the episode you would think it's unoriginal and nothing special. That's not the point, though. It's all in how they put it together with the editing, the direction, the acting, and the music. If the rest of the season maintains the quality of the first episode, it will go down as one of the best series ever on television. You can either watch it on www.nbc.com, or catch the rebroadcast tonight at 8:00.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

I hate to sound like a Stiffly Stifferson, but I think Two-a-Days is 10 times better than this show.

After watching FNL I was dizzy. Dizzy from all the supposed "creative" camera angles. The show tries to be all "realistic" and dark and creative and "stripped-down." It's basically the Kurt Cobain of High School Football sitcoms. The southern accents are fake as hell, and the head coach never even yells, I guess because that would be considered too cliche for the artsy West-Wing-type writers of NBC.

Two-a-Days, on the other hand, is easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Normal, real southern accents, happy people, golf shirts, pretty girls, and you gotta love the coach. It's one of the few good things MTV has ever done. Ya'll should watch it.

tim said...

I have to agree with Pat on the head coach issue. I don't really buy that guy as a high school football coach in Texas. Maybe Oregon or somewhere gay like that.
However, I will probably watch it next week.

Joe said...

I agree with Pat on both points.

- I cannot and will not get excited about "Friday Night Lights: The TV Show." Cinema cannot translate to television, especially network television, period. The movie was great, but there's no milk left in the Friday Night Lights teat.

- Two-a-Days is a great show. It's about the closest thing to "The BC" that we'll ever see on television.

TC said...

Yall need to stop watching TV and go read a damn book. Jesus.