Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Totally Sweet Gamers

I originally started this as a comment under Joe's Playstation 3 post. I got so fired up that I had to give it more room. Obviously everyone has their own hobbies or interests and sticks to them. At the same time, everyone looks at someone else's hobby and doesn't understand it at all. I play guitar and watch a lot of TV, and I don't know anything about cars. A car enthusiast won't understand why I play guitar and watch TV so much. My immediate thought is that it's a waste of time to do anything but put gas in your car, whereas he will think it's completely pointless to buy DVDs. I do make an effort to recognize that I should just respect that people love what they love. However.

These people camping out to buy Playstation 3 are worth nothing. They don't deserve a roof over their head, clean clothes, health insurance, or a driver's license. I don't want them to get a job, because that will take away a spot from a person who doesn't throw their short life in the garbage participating in a fairy land that doesn't exist. I really don't know who I would run over with my car first - potheads or "gamers." Though, my decision wouldn't be too hard, since they are usually the same people.

Let me tell you a story that I've told a few of you in person and hopefully not on this blog. Back in the spring, I went over to this guy's apartment who answered my ad looking for musicians. We'll call him Bob. Bob's hair had not seen shampoo in probably 3 or 4 days. His armpits exuded a stranded-on-a-desert-island aroma, mixed with the sweet stench of his chain-smoking habit. His teeth looked like exposed petri dishes of snot and roach guts. Bob was probably 60 pounds overweight.

He drank 3 cans of Mountain Dew in the 5 tortorous hours I was there, and took every sip in high speed, as if he couldn't bare to not have his gaming fuel in his body RIGHT NOW. He had two chocolate Snack Packs in a row, his tongue dashing over the peeled, plastic top in a starved, sexual quenching. If all this weren't enough, his personality was actually the worst offender of all. He pathologically lied about numerous things, including:
-He could be making millions in a band right now that he left because he was too good for them. I asked what band it was, and he said they were in California now - "You've never heard of them."
-He knows of a secret cabin in the mountains that, through the power of its beauty, "makes the panties drop like *that* (snaps fingers)" every time he brings a different girl up there.

Let me emphasize how unfriendly this guy was. His people skills involved scrunching his nose a lot while gruffly telling me, "Don't do that," while waving his fat paw around. This was while I was simply explaining why I was messing up a song of mine. There was lots of snickering (imagine Stephen's drunken, disgusted "pfffft") at opinions of mine.

What am I getting at? Well, the whole root of his anti-social personality comes from his pathetic addiction to video games. He said he usually goes to bed around 5:00 or 6:00 a.m. Why do you need to learn how to make friends when Zelda is taking you on the 12th journey of Final Fantasy? This reminds me of that guy I posted about a long time ago who had played Everquest for 9480 hours (a year and a month). I honestly could write another 10 paragraphs about the black hole that is playing video games all the time, but I'm sure it would be preaching to the choir. I just really hate this culture.

3 comments:

Joe said...

The only acceptable newer video games a man can get away with owning are sports games. These allow for trash-talking, which I'll admit is fun when wiping the floor a friend or roommate at NCAA Football.

Older Nintendos are acceptable. Everything else is lame.

Ryan said...

When searching my contacts lists in Gmail, I came across his email address:

heartbreaker5951

Pinkie said...

Are you sure this wasn't Jeff Fender?