Monday, December 11, 2006

The Buzz Over Obama

The mainstream media are abuzz over Barack Obama and his presidential ambitions. He's young, energetic, "intelligent," telegenic, bi-racial, smiles a lot, and he speaks really well (i.e., he employs centrist, ambivalent language to cloak an otherwise left-wing voting record). All the stuff that CNN, John Stewart, the British, and other Clintonistas just go ga-ga for.

One small problem though: he's still liberal. He voted against extension of Bush's tax rate reductions, against free trade with Central America, and against a ban on partial-birth abortions. He supports even further expansion of the welfare state.

So I wish someone could please explain to me what's so "cool" about not supporting free trade? What's hip about being a protectionist labor union supporter? Just what is so totally awesomely rad about supporting partial-birth abortion? What's so groovy about using taxpayer dollars to create and destroy embryos? What's so bodacious about defending the government monopoly that is the public school system?

Ronald Reagan was nearly 70 years old when he was elected president, and his ideas were 70 times more youthful and energetic than Barack Obama's could ever hope to be. Ideas, not image, should matter. The fundamental, God-given rights to life, liberty, and property, coupled with the spread of capitalism, the most revolutionary, dynamic force that has expanded wealth and freedom to millions in just over the past decade alone, must not be stifled by false notions that stagnant statism is somehow "trendy" because some media darling says it is.

10 comments:

Ryan said...

Obama = The new JFK. "He's cool! So...yeah!"

Michael said...

He speaks so well, I trust him.

Pinkie said...

Sorry Pat, but I have to bust you on this.

In this post, you write, "Ideas, not image, should matter."

In your response to Why Mommy is a Democrat, you write, "...she fails to understand that ideas have consequences."

Maybe I'm not getting the point, but it seems like you just flip-flopped.

I don't get into politics, but that caught my attention. This will be my last political commentary.

Patrick said...

Will: I'm not sure where the contradiction is. To the contrary, I think both points complement one another. I could sum it up in one sentence: Ideas should be the only thing that matter, because they have consequences, unlike image.

Don't be scared to talk about political stuff, Will. Our great republic was founded upon this type of debate, and the maintenance of a free and prosperous society depends upon it.

Patrick said...

And Ryan, you completely nailed in two short sentences what it took me 4 long paragraphs to spell out. English degrees aren't worthless.

Joe said...

Will just got served.

Pinkie said...

To me, it looked like you were praising ideas in this post and discounting them in another post.

I understand what you're saying NOWWW. I get it NOWWW.

It's not that I'm scared to talk politics. It's that they don't interest me and, therefore, I am ignorant to what is going on.

Me talking about politics is like Ryan talking about healthy living.

Patrick said...

You're right, I was: some ideas are good (less government), others are bad (more government). But all, once enacted, have consequences.

I discount liberal ideas more because the consequences of government interference w/ the economy almost always bring about results that contradict even the most well-intentioned ideas behind them; and I usually support conservative ideas because they usually revolve around reducing or limiting this counterproductive interference.

Either way, everybody better come out and support Cadet basketball this holiday season.

Joe said...

We work. We don't get a "holiday season."

Patrick said...

I am also working and don't plan on missing a single game.

I didn't know First Chatham made its employees work on Friday and Saturday nights at 8 o'clock.