Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Loose Lips Spoil Shows

I want to take this time apologize to one of our loyal readers: Last week, I spoiled the Dawson's Creek Finale. I was called on it, and through a misunderstanding, revealed even more details.

I did that in response to your initial comment in which I honestly thought you were kidding. The show has been over for years and is rarely seen on television anymore. I assumed that everyone who cared to find out what happened to our friends in Capeside had already seen or heard.

Alas, we live in a technological age where one can find any show on DVD. Had I known you were in the process of watching the episodes on DVD, I would never have deprived you same joy I felt when I watched those shows for the first time, not knowing what will happen next.

Chuck Klosterman outlined a similar dilemma in Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs. He detailed in his book how he became addicted to The Real World: San Francisco. He began watching it months after in initially aired, but then he found out that Judd and the Asian chick got married after the show. At first he was mad, but then he realized he was ahead of the game when it came to the roommates. He got to spend the rest of the season deconstructing every conversation Judd and the Asian chick had because he knew they ended up together. It gave him a feeling of power and control.

Anyway, I'm sorry for spoiling the ending of the Creek. That was never my intention.

Sincerely,
Joe

7 comments:

HANK said...

Just don't reveal anything that happens on Fox and Friends.

Anonymous said...

Actually Joe, Pam married Judd not John the Cowboy. John was from a different season.

tim said...

Joe, I am glad you were a man about this and now can bury the hatchet with Stephen about this whole thing.

MacKenzie said...

Joe, of course I accept your apology. It was naive of me to think that I could live my life in a bubble and not find out about the dramatic turn of events that happened in a show that had such a lasting impact on so many adolescents. One certainly can't live his life expecting not to discover that the Titanic sank.

As I told Ryan, it is the journey, not the destination, that truly matters. I will still be able to enjoy all the nuances of the show. And as your Chuck Klosterman anecdote illustrates, I will indeed feel more powerful knowing that Jen takes a dirt nap in the end. The dramatic irony created by your "loose lips" will only enhance my viewing experience as far as I'm concerned.

I know you will undoubtedly catch some flack from some of the more cynical readers of this blog who have not had the opportunity to enjoy Dawson's Creek as we have, and I salute you for this.

In the future, once I have seen all the episodes in their brilliant, melodramatic glory, I'd like to buy you a beer and discuss the lasting effects Dawson's Creek has had on our feeble existence.

tim said...

that's queer.

Michael said...

I thought the Dad died in the last episode when he was driving and he dropped his ice cream cone. He was asking for it.

HANK said...

y'all stop being sissies and watch Fox News.