Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Totally

It occurred to me last week that whenever any of us are hanging out, you know, like in real life, that 64% of the time this blog comes up in conversation. I'm pretty sure that it's been around so long that no one even bats an eye at the word "blog" being used completely free of irony in a group that normally would rip such a term apart. And I'm sure everyone has had at least one occurrence where two blog members are discussing BMBS, when an outsider asks what you're talking about and you try to make it sound a lot cooler than it is. This can be embarrassing.

Well, why don't we own the embarrassment? Much as minorities now call themselves the same words that are meant to be insults when said by other ethnic groups.

See, I noticed that BMBS is really "bombs" without the O. And in the text message culture we live in, where everything is abbreviated as much as possible, I personally think it would be funny to refer to the blog as "Bombs" when out in a bar, tailgate, or wherever else. "Ryan, that is so f____ ___." Yeah, I know. That's the point. See, then we own the embarrassment of talking about an internet weblog out loud in a social setting.

I look forward to the comments for this one, fellow Bombers.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Screw "bombs". Let's just go straight for "nuke", as in "How do we nuke this post."

Joe said...

You really have nothing to do at work, do you?

Ryan said...

But if I did have stuff to do at work, you wouldn't have anything to read, and then your comment would not exist.

Joe said...

Touche'.

tim said...

I always wondered how you spell touche'.

Joe said...

It's the French word for touch, naturally. It comes from the sport of fencing.