Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Sooner Blues

If any of you have watched ESPN, read sports websites, or listened to sports radio since this weekend, you know all about the Oregon-Oklahoma debacle. I'm really burned out on it, which I know is my fault, since I could easily turn the channel or not read about it. But I do spend quite a lot of time on the internet at work and with ESPN on at home, and after the constant bombardment, I have come to my own semi-informed solution to this problem.

First, I realize that if this call had been made against Georgia, I would also be an angry fan. Maybe I'd even find the ref's phone number and threaten to kill his family, since college football is that serious. While I was watching that choch of a show, Around the Horn, I heard ol' Granddaddy Choch himself - Woody Paige - make a sad, yet accurate statement. He said instead of just suspending the refs or erasing the game from OU's record, the voters should reward Oklahoma and bump them up in the poll. I guess that's fair, since the completely subjective and meaningless system will take OU to a bowl game that means nothing anyway.

But my main problem is with the coach whining about how his team didn't get to feel the accomplishment of victory. Hey, if your team were really that deserving of the win, they would have scored at least another touchdown or field goal before that kick.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Fuck Oklahoma. They could have grown a pair and stopped Oregon after the kick, but they didn't. Now they are crying about it. Calls go both ways every game, it's part of it. It's just rare that they are that blatant at the end of the game. Suck it up.

HANK said...

I don't like Oregon's uniforms.

Joe said...

I agree with both Leonards here.

Bad calls are all part of the game. You ride 'til she bucks you or you don't ride at all.

Oregon's uniforms are ridiculous.

Patrick said...

Don't worry guys. The Dow is near all-time highs, oil prices are in continued decline, inflation pressures are moderating, the fed is done raising rates, and even in the wake of the housing bubble it looks like GDP growth should still clock in around 2-3% this quarter.

Bottom line: I didn't have money on this game so I don't care what happened.

Joe said...

What is a choch? Is that an Athens thing?