Friday, September 22, 2006

Vox Populi: Gems of the Week

Holy mackerel. This was an outstanding week for Vox Populi in both quality and quantity. The last couple of weeks were kind of slow, but I literally had a week’s worth of material by Wednesday morning. I even threw in a few extras. The Voxians are back and better than ever, just look at these!

Dishonorable Mention:
"I would vote for a card-carrying Communist before I would vote for anyone calling themselves a Republican."
- Alliteration aside, everyone would be much happier if you just moved away. If you enjoy the idea of Communism so much, move to China.

Dishonorable Mention:
"Liberalism: When a president is appointed by a court and not elected by a people."
- I don’t really get this one. Is this guy trying to be funny? Is this a snarky jab at the President? Maybe one of our resident political analysts can field this one. I don’t get it.

Dishonorable Mention:
"Why is it called a space walk? I've only seen the astronauts floating around."
- Why is it called taking a dump if you’re not actually taking it anywhere?

Dishonorable Mention:
"Bring back the Ellen show."
- …

REALLY Dishonorable Mention:
"Savannah is a great tourist town with arts included, so why shouldn't we have a larger arena? The old civic center could be torn down and another lost square could be restored. Also, why not franchise a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe downtown?"
- You son of a bitch. Yeah, let’s just go ahead and put a McDonalds in Forsyth Park and throw up a Wal-Mart on River Street. While we’re at it, we’ll build a water park in Fort Pulaski. It's bad enough Outback, Loco's and the like had to go and wedge themselves into some prime real estate downtown. Let's get all the major franchises in here so downtown Savannah can look like downtown Richmond Hill. Please just get the hell out of my city.

Third Runner-up:
"You won't stop terrorism by winning the war in Iraq. You stop terrorism by changing the way you do business in the world."
- Yeah, it’s our international business practices that are making fanatical Muslims blow things up and kill people. I’d better watch what I say though, or someone might put a jihad on us here at BMBS.

Second Runner-up:
"WTOC's Dawn Baker wears pretty purple suits. You go, girl."
- There’s been a rash of these lately. They all stem from a remark someone made a few weeks back about Jody Chapin’s hair looking “tussled” one evening. I didn’t pay it much attention at the time, but it brought about a smorgasbord of dumb comments. Anyway… you go on, Dawn Baker, wich-yo’ bad self!

First Runner-up:
"During the last storm, our newspaper was so wet my husband put it in the oven to dry. He almost burned the house down, and I had to borrow a paper from a neighbor so we could read it."
- You and your husband are completely retarded. I’m glad I’m not your neighbor. Can’t you just get off your lazy asses and get the paper if it’s getting rained on? No, because it has to be someone else’s fault. There has to be someone else to blame for the thunderstorm, the soggy paper, your idiot husband, and the fire that almost consumed your house. Next time, just stick your head in the oven.

And your Gem of the Week:
"Nobody don't care nothing about Jody Chapin's hair. I don't even watch the news."
- Simply stunning. My grammar checker went nuts with this one. This came out on Tuesday and I immediately knew I had a winner. Just look at it. Read it again. With the blatant ignorance and poor grammar, this is not just any gem; this is a diamond. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the first nominee for Gem of the Year.

Happy Friday, everyone.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Pat, I'd like to formally request that "Nobody don't care nothing about Jody Chapin's hair. I don't even watch the news" be the new subline underneath the blog title.

tim said...

I second that emotion

Patrick said...

Alright, I guess I'll but it up there.

The person who thinks Bush wasn't elected must somehow believe the number 48 is greater than 51. That's a tough one to prove.

On the civic center: If people really want a new one, then let a private company come in and build one. Just like ethanol. If something is truly profitable, then it will be brought to the market. Government intervention and taxpayer funding will only slow this process down and make it less likely to happen.

The restaurant issue is where I differ a bit with Joe. I say let Outback and the other chains bring all places they want downtown. Consumer choice is good. If the mom and pop restaurants can't compete, then they don't deserve to be in business because either their food sucks or it's too expensive. That's not my fault.

Either way you look at it, Sawyer's will always be there, even in the rough times, because Stephen Bruce will single-handedly keep it in in business.

tim said...

By the way, I think that Blake Yeckel wrote the "I don't even watch the news" comment. Yeah, he probably doesn't not care about something that fails to matter.

Joe said...

Pat,
I agree consumer choice is good, but we can't let downtown become a strip mall. That's what Southside is for. I just don't want it to get to the point where visitors to our fair city return home and tell stories of their visit:

"So did you eat anywhere nice?"
"Oh yeah, we went to Outback, then Baskin Robins for dessert, then to the AMC Theater to see a movie."

The local flavor is one of the things that makes our city better than any place in the world.

You're right though, mom & pop places fail because while they may have a superb product and service, they cannot provide it effectively and efficiently enough to compete with franchises and chains, who have vastly more resources at their disposal.

Until Mom & Pop become more business savvy, they will continue to fight the uphill battle to compete with chains and franchises.

I'll finish by saying that I love the Bloomin' Onion.