Tuesday, September 27, 2005

BC vs. BC

The Cadets will rest this weekend as they prepare to take on Burke County (4-1) next Friday at Memorial Stadium. Let me make something clear, because I want to give everyone fair notice: attendance is required at this game. Not only is it homecoming (which, by the way, comes from the Old Medieval English term meaning "HOME" "COMING"), but there's a lot on the line. The Cadets need a win here to keep their playoff dreams alive. To say Burke is merely a formidable opponent is an enormous understatement. The only team they've lost to is Thomson (30-14), a perennial AAA powerhouse. This Friday they play South Effingham, and the outcome is obviously of great interest to us.

I know there are tons of more important things going on for lots of people that weekend, doing things with "friends" that I'm sure they'll still have 30 years from now. Fraternities. Girlfriends. Many, for example, are going to Knoxville. Cool. That's really hard to do. I'm sure you'll really separate yourselves from the other 100,000 rednecks there. I'm watching that game too, on this new thing they got now called a television.

Anyway, you can find me at 6:30 on Oct. 7 in the Paulson parking lot blasting oldies music, downing PBR, and making huge, unsubstantiated claims about how this is the biggest game of all time (like last weekend). But let's face it, it really is.

Colonel Fleming, we'll need a "word of the week" to repeat starting Monday.

1 comment:

Pinkie said...

I'm on it, CDT/LTC Holland. As for you, CDT/CPT Leonard, I order you to be at that game. If you fail to follow this order, you're name will never be forgotten around here, S-1. That goes for you too, CDT/1LT Smith and CDT/SSG Wallace. Michael, you are a civilian and are not obligated to follow my orders.