Monday, September 12, 2005

Trap Games

This weekend's slate presents some scary matchups for a few BMBS-supported teams.

Effingham Co. @ Benedictine
The Rebels are 0-2 with losses to pretty good teams in South Effingham and Screven County. BC is 3-1 and feeling pretty good about themselves right now. Effingham is licking their chops at the opportunity to beat up on the city boys from Savannah. The Cadets may also be looking ahead to next week's crucial sub-region showdown with South Effingham. Another interesting sub-plot is Coach Munch's decision to leave BC for Springfield. But wait, there's more! Munch's replacement, Buddy Sorrow, has coached at Effingham in the past. Finally, I've held a personal grudge against the Rebels ever since that redneck sucker-punched Mark at the '94 game in Springfield. A classic Catholics vs. Crackers battle.

Connecticut @ Georgia Tech
I know. Tech shouldn't be concerned with a game against UConn. But the Huskies are good and will make the Jackets sweat. Tech travels to Blacksburg next week for a game which might decide the Coastal Division of the ACC. And, as we all know, Chan Gailey isn't the best at motivating his teams for games like this (cite '04 UNC, '03 Duke).

Michigan St. @ Notre Dame
The Golden Domers are on cloud-9 after taming the Skunkbears in the Big House. MSU's Drew Stanton is the best QB the Irish have faced so far this season. I still think the secondary is playing above their abilities and will come back down sooner or later. And since this is the home opener, emotions will be sky high on the ND sideline. This could lead to mental lapses early on. I predicted a shoot-out last week and was dead wrong but I'll do it again. Just please do not wear the green jerseys!

12 comments:

Michael said...

In another "Catholics vs. Crackers" contest, Aquinas takes on Glascock County next Friday. If you are not familiar with Glascock, they hold the record for most consecutive losses in GHSA history. Rumor has it that they have around 20 players this year, as opposed to the 13 studs that played against me my sophomore year.

HANK said...

Yesterday on the radio it was announced that the spread for the Louisiana-Monroe v. UGA game is 38.5 points. That seems a little excessive to me. If I was a bettin' man, would it make sense to put money on LA-M? I'm thinking about putting my first bet with college football on this game.

tim said...

The LA-Monroe vs. UGA might be the lock of the week. Georgia hardly ever covers especially on big spreads like that one.

tim said...

Actually, I take that back. Georgia still might not cover, but I just checked the Sportsline 119 and LA-Monroe is ranked 118.

Michael said...

By the way, Tech never covers when they're supposed to. If you have to bet on Tech, they need to be an underdog, and getting at least +6.

Patrick said...

More Economics 101 with Professor Holland:

Another things that people tend to forget, is that the spread, particularly on betting websites, isn't directly "set" by one oddsmaker, but by you and me.

Thousands of decisions by bettors, whether they be smart or stupid, determine what the oddsmaker will move the line to and set it at, so that the # of bettors for each side is split 50/50. This way the bookee gets his juice and wins either way.

The same is true with prices. The current $2.99 per gallon isn't set any more by the "big evil oil executives" than it is by us and thousands of other consumers - it reflects the price that people are willing and able to pay for a gallon of gas.

So while I agree with Tim and Stephen that UGA will not cover; there are a lot of idiots out there that think they will, hence the huge spread.

I know you are all sitting there and saying "duh", but I bring this up because it's fun to realize how online betting is a really a cool microcosm of free-market capitalism.

No government authority has to tell the bookee what to set the spread at, and the bookee doesn't have to be some MIT grad or sports guru to determine it either. Instead, all he has to do is sit back and let it naturally be set through thousands of transactions and decisions by you and me.

It's amazing how many really smart people I've encountered, particulary in the poli-sci department and now at the law school (future politicians), still fail to understand these fundamental things.

tim said...

I can't wait to put on my trendy Che shirt tomorrow.

Patrick said...

Speaking of Che, came across this site recently; pretty funny stuff.

HANK said...

Shut up Faith. We don't want your kind around here.

Pinkie said...

Sorry, Faith. Even though you're a friend of a friend, I cannot give any analysis of the Golden Bears or I would betray everything that BMBS stands for. One of those ideals is showing hostility toward outsiders, as you have already witnessed. Stay tuned, though. Cal may be involved in the Lock of the Week somewhere down the rode.

tim said...

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you

But I've got to think twice
Before I give my heart away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to pick my heart up off the floor
And when that love comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a strong man baby
But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta have faith...

Baby
I know you're asking me to stay
Say please, please, please, don't go away
You say I'm giving you the blues
Maybe
You mean every word you say
Can't help but think of yesterday
And another who tied me down to loverboy rules

Before this river
Becomes an ocean
Before you throw my heart back on the floor
Oh baby I reconsider
My foolish notion
Well I need someone to hold me
But I'll wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith..

-George Michael

Anonymous said...

George Michael? Who's he? I thought that was Fred Durst. WTF dude?