Monday, February 14, 2005

"Like"

Definition: To find pleasant or attractive; enjoy. To want to have: ex., "I would like some coffee." To feel about; regard: Archaic; To be pleasing to. To have an inclination or a preference:(From Dictionary.com)
Patrick's encounter with the Atlanta kid that was retold in the previous blog "Ash Wednesday" has spurred the creation of this odd blog of mine. Yes, my topic is this one simple word, "Like. " You may be asking yourself why in the hell is this kid writing about this stupid word. I mean, like, it has nothing to do with the purpose of this website. That is, this discussion has nothing to do with downsizing the government, rotting one's teeth with a tall glass of Carey Hillard's sweet tea, Coach Jim Walsh, seer sucker shorts, The Horse, baci ball, Sebago topsiders, green grits and eggs on St. Patrick's day, or even getting drunk on Sunday at the Master's. But oh yes, it has everything to do with these. The continual misuse of this most ancient word is signaling the downfall of all that is good.
I step on shaky ground will typing this blog. I have witnessed bloggers of our own butchering like as if there is no tomorrow. This is not to say that I have not used it incorrectly. I admit, I have misused it here and there when attempting to entertain a buddy with a story that goes nowhere. If we don't overcome this terrible disease soon, we might as well head forPanama City on a permenate spring break with our hair gel and board shorts in the trunk.
During my sophomore year at Georgia, I realized how dire this "like" situation had become. While in legal studies class, I heard the following comment by a high nasal pitched, fast talking, efeminit, backwards fitted hat wearing (with the graphic of a bad ass Uga also wearing the same hat), East Cobber. "You know, like, I really want to be apart of the, like, corporate business culture. So, like, I'm going to take a PE golf class, so like, I'll be able to, like, absorb the montra that, like, top CEOs live and breath, like, every day. You know?" This statement has scorned me for life. For one thing, as a male he used the word montra and the phrase business culture in the same sentence. And besides sounding retarded, this kid is slapping our cause in the face. I have seen crap like this written in Georgia's "Red and Black" newspaper on a daily basis. It must be stopped.
Am I over exaggerating this situation? NEVER! We are facing a potential disaster. By misusing like we face the possibility of wearing Hollister, listening to ipods during a quick 10 minute walk to class, having our sons go to Bible Baptist, and (God forbid) going to tanning beds. Keep up the good fight.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Sorry, still just figuring out how this comment thing works.

Stephen- I couldn't have said it better myself. Although I would have used the correct spelling for words like "mantra" and "permanent," you're right on target.

In the words of Coach Curley, "you can't be 'kinda' pregnant." Atlanta kids can never make definite statements about anything. Think about a life or death situation. Could you imagine going to war with an Atlanta kid? Could you imagine sitting next to him in the trenches when he says, "I think, like, the VC are, like, headed this way dude." Well that's a relief. Because according to him, the enemy is NOT coming, it is just "like" coming.

Manson Owens, we need you now more than ever.

HANK said...

Damn, foregive my misspellings y'all.