Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Endorsement

Assuming anyone actually gives a damn, I announce tonight that I will be supporting Rudy Giuliani for president in 2008. There are undoubtedly many reservations I have regarding this choice, but the process of elimination has forced me to reach this conclusion. I realize we have a long-ass time until election day and that countless things could happen between now and then that could make me regret this, but right now I see Rudy as the best all-around shot for the Republican party.

Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world I'd support someone more conservative (whomever the libertarian candidate ends up being). But the truth is, in practical terms, Rudy looks like our best shot at beating Hillary. He'd do a lot to help return the Republican party to its Goldwater roots. He'd demonstrate that conservatism isn't about bashing hippies and gays or being in Lambda Chi, but instead about embracing limited government, market economics, and individual liberty. He's so electable that I wouldn't be surprised if California even turned back into a red state like it was in the 80's. His commitment to small government, entitlement reform, and free markets helped revitalize New York City. Imagine what it could do for America.

While Rudy's record of failing to protect the lives of the unborn and the Second Amendment is downright atrocious, I think his position on these issues could change once he actually leaves New York City for once. He would also do well to name a social conservative (Newt) as VP to help rally the party. Because I know how Newt thinks, he probably won't enter himself into the race until September. This is smart, but it shouldn't stop the Giuliani team from opening up some kind of dialogue with Newt now about joining a single ticket once the smoke clears after the primaries.

Most say that Rudy's toughest fight will be getting through the primaries, but with all the polls already showing him 10-15 points in the lead among Republican voters, this might not be as hard as once thought.

All of you Rudy supporters who will be joining my ranks can find campaign apparel and merchandise at the new Spalding Group website (the same company responsible for the brilliant "W the President" product line in '04).

6 comments:

Michael said...

I was a Lambda Chi, although we didn't get along with the UGA folks.

Ryan said...

Anyway.

I'm totally with you, Pat. Giuliani rules.

Michael said...

And yes, I had already decided to go Giuliani.

Patrick said...

Michael - I totally meant to restrict the Lambda Chi statement to Georgia. Fraternaties at GA Southern and Tech are a lot different than the ones here.

I was just pointing out a personal pet peeve of mine seeing Brantley and Walker driving around snorting coke in their big SUVs with W stickers on them whilst having no idea of what conservatism means or is about.

tim said...

I like the "I'm for Rudy" buttons. This country has been lacking some good campaign buttons in recent years.
http://www.campaignbuttons-etc.com/

My favorite is "Hungarians for Nixon"

TC said...

I'm voting for Newt.