Sunday, February 11, 2007

Supply and Demand of Labor in Action.

Here's an article regarding the effect of the minimum wage increase in Arizona.

"Some Valley employers, especially those in the food industry, say payroll budgets have risen so much that they're cutting hours, instituting hiring freezes and laying off employees. "

We recently had an informative discussion covering this very same topic here and here.

This is where Communists, I mean Liberals, start spinning their wheels. Although the minimum wage increase was passed into law under the banner of compassion, negative consequences have surfaced. Workers are being laid off and the price of goods have increased. Everyone is getting hurt. Here's a quote from an Arizona business owner:

"I've had to go to some of my kids and say, 'Look, my payroll just increased 13 percent,' " he said. " 'Sorry, I don't have any hours for you.' "

Sometimes, showing compassion makes the situation worse.

5 comments:

tim said...

Hey, at least the hammer and sickle is a pretty sweet logo. Does anyone remember when that kid wore the Lenin shirt to BC one free dress day? I think he was a Freshman when we were Seniors. That kid got tore up.

Patrick said...

The best way to show compassion would be to totally abolish the minimum wage. If the Dems truly cared about poor people, this is what they would do.

Oh wait, they only care about big campaign donations from unions. Nevermind.

Tim I remember the kid you're referring to, and I remember him getting made fun of. If he were at BC today though he'd probably be a star now though because he'd be in that "Battle of the Bands" thing or whatever it's called.

HANK said...

Hey, the Battle of the Bands is there to make BC cometitive with other schools.

HANK said...

competitive

Joe said...

Try and imagine his thought process when he chose his clothing for that free dress day.

"Hmm. BC Homecoming shirt or Lenin shirt? I'll go with Lenin so people will think I'm unique. Who's Lenin? I don't know, but his picture looks cool with the pointy nose and mustache. I think I saw that guy from Rage Against The Machine wear a shirt like this. Oooh! That reminds me, I've got to ask Mom for one of those shirts with that Mexican guy on it. Che Gonzalez? I think that's his name. That's a sweet shirt."